In January of 2016 a water committee was created in Newport Center Vermont to address the problems the town has been having for decades which recently resulted in 200% increase on the water bill. After a few months one member of the water committee claimed that the reduction of the water bill was “never going to happen”. He also claimed that reducing the water bill and installing the meters was never discussed. Despite several videos right here on this website you can see and hear his discussion on water meters. Go to Video 3 on Dec 3rd and see Ernest speak on water meters Why would someone turn around and contradict himself on an issue like this? What is he up to. No good perhaps..
I had thought of commenting on this but I feel Dwight’s performance speaks for itself. I will say only that this is a violation of the Brown Act “Right To Know” and the Open Meeting Laws.
We just received our water committee progress report and there still are questions at least in my mind.
I will be attending presenting them to the water committee at the next meeting.
If any of you have any questions I will be glad to preset them on your behalf to the water committee if you cannot attend. I will present them anonymously if you prefer. I realize this is an effort of the committee in transparency and I applaud this, but needs further discussion in my opinion.
They might tell you to attend the meeting but most residents do not want to go and I understand this.
But even if you do not want to attend the meeting you are still entitled to answers should you have questions.
Post then here or on face book and comments always welcome
I have to say I know nil about how water systems function. I never really thought about this. But now I in middle of this issue, reminded every week when I have cough up an additional 40.00 per week to pay the recent increase of the water bill by 100%. So I ask around town and many residents are “well” informed. Some even have professional opinion having served on a water committee in the past.
So I guess I have to take their opinions seriously. I listened to one by Ernest Choquette who has served on the Newport Town Water Committee in the past as well as keeping up with the current issue we are having.
Ernest says we have plenty of water. One of the primary reasons we have a so called shortage is that there are many leaks in the piping distribution of the water. He says the drilling new wells and then using the old leaky pipe distribution of the water is counter productive. His solution would be first fix the leaking pipes, then add meters.. Fixing the pipes will get us more water to use instead of having the water leak into the ground all over town. So hypothetically we will have more water to distribute by fixing the leaks.. Then install meters. When this happens, naturally the residents will be more conservative in water usage. they pay for only what they use thus the water bill goes down for the conservative users…
Ernest’s analogy uses a car that has a wheel alignment problem. So the tires wear out quickly.
So you can either buy new tires to fix the problem temporarily or fix the alignment for a permanent solution.
Drill new wells and distribute through leaky pipes or fix the pipes not drill new wells.
Another resident who served on the water committee person, Dennis Delabruere also believes in this solution.. what do you think? Any thoughts.. love to hear them…
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Alleged Conflict of Interest August 2, 2018
- ATV Ordinance-TownNewport
- Boil Order Notice Blunder
- Bond Vote
- Business Listings
- Candidate Consent Form
- Citizens Arrest Open Meeting Law
- Code of Ethics – Town Newport VT
- Decision for New Wells
- Direction to a Better Local Government Part 1
- Documents Withheld
- Facebook – YouTube TownNewport
- Fred’s Big Project
- Future Increase of Water Bill?
- Hillbilly Trail War
- Hillbilly Trail War Part 2
- Hillbilly Trail War Part 3
- Intro Screen Cast
- Jan 7th, 2016
- Just Sign the Contract
- Latest News
- Learning & Action Committee – Newport Center VT
- Minutes – 2018
- Minutes 2016
- Minutes 2020
- Nasty Letter -School Principal
- Newport Town Ambulance Company
- News Updates
- OML Complaint – Non Compliance of October 1st SBS Meeting
- OML Complaint November 19, 2019
- Open Meeting Law Complaint Aug 2 18
- Open Meeting Law complaint Jan 4th 2019
- Open Meeting Law Complaint Jan 8, 2020
- Open Meeting Law Complaints
- Open Meeting Law References VT
- Open Meeting Violation Feb15,2016
- Payables 2016
- Payables 2017
- Payables 2018
- Payables 2019
- Payables 2020
- Payables 2021
- Portfolio Large Images
- Public Records Act ( V.S.A. 315 – 319)
- Public Records Act Letter to Denise
- Public Records Law References
- Reading your Water Meter
- Response to Open Meeting Law Complaint August 20, 2020
- Right to Know
- School Bottled Water Reimbursement
- Select Board Jan 7 2021
- Select Board Meeting Aug 6, 2020 Town Newport VT
- Select Board Meeting May 2021
- Selectboard Meetings
- SelectBoard Santa
- Step Down
- System Project Dec 22, 2015
- The OML Laws
- The Ordinary Citizen
- Town Docs Nov 2015
- Town Documents Misc
- Town Expenses
- Town Meeting 2121
- Town Newport Tax Rates 2016
- TownNewport Facebook update
- Transparency Vermont
- Upcoming Meeting Agenda
- Updates to Website
- USDA Grant Details
- Voter Resources
- Water Bill Increase 2017
- Water Committee News Letter
- Water Crises Dec 3rd 2015
- Water Meters
- Water Purchase and Hauling
- Water System Assessment #1
- Water/Sewer bill questions for August 1 Select Board Meeting
- Well Drilling Bids
- What is Open Meeting Law OML
- What is Public Records Act
- Wishes to Selectboard Santa